Thursday, March 01, 2018

This Year's Purim Soups, Yes Two 2

I feel best breaking fasts on vegetable soup. The Jewish Calendar has a number of fasts in the year, and one of them is the day before Purim. My custom is to spend the afternoon making soup. That's what I did yesterday afternoon.

Since I no longer have, nor usually need, a supersized pot, I made two pots of soup. Another reason was that I had lentils and peas I wanted to use up. So instead of mixing them into one soup, I made two different ones.

Lentil-Ginger Soup
The Lentil-Ginger Soup ingredients:
lentils
onion
fresh garlic
carrots
sweetpotato
fresh ginger
parsley root and leaves
a spoon or two of vegetable oil
salt to taste, or a just a bit less
Instructions:
  • A few hours before I plan on cooking the soup, I put the checked lentils in a pot and add boiling water to cover and then cover the pot.
  • Afterwards I cut all the vegetables, add them, except for the parsley leaves, to the lentils, add the oil and some more boiling water. 
  • Cover, start cooking on a high flame, then lower it to simmer for at least 45 minutes.
  • Add the parsley and salt.
  • Cook a few more minutes, and then let it sit covered.
Enjoy!

Simple Pea and Carrot Soup
The  Simple Pea and Carrot Soup Ingredients:
onion
garlic
carrots
squash
parsley
root and leavesvegetable oil
coarse black pepper and salt "to taste"
Instructions:
  • A few hours before I plan on cooking the soup, I put the checked peas in a pot and add boiling water to cover and then cover the pot. 
  • Afterwards I cut all the vegetables, add them, except for the parsley leaves, to the lentils, add the oil and some more boiling water. 
  •  Cover, start cooking on a high flame, then lower it to simmer for at least 45 minutes. 
  • Add the parsley and salt. 
  • Cook a few more minutes, and then let it sit covered.
Enjoy!

After sampling both soups, I decided to try them mixed/together. 
I hope my neighbors like the soups they'll be getting for mishloach manot, Purim food gifts as much as I did.

No comments: