Tuesday, January 09, 2018

Pomegranates, Definitely Worth The Mess

In recent years, I'd be treating myself to pomegranates from fall to well into the winter, even though they make an awful mess. Experts say that they are extremely healthy. When my father was living with us, we got him pomegranate juice from a neighbor who froze the juice immediately after juicing.

Pomegranates are one of those foods I don't remember at all from the states. I developed my taste for them only in recent years. Early on here in Israel we'd just have one for the "Yehi ratzon*" prayer on the first night of Rosh Hashanah. That was the only time we ever bought and ate them.

This year, the pomegranates I bought for Rosh Hashanah tasted awful, which ruined my appetite for them. I didn't buy any after that. That is until yesterday. I saw some in Rami Levy which looked so good and felt "juicy," the way they should be. Since it isn't an inexpensive fruit I just bought one. I'm so sorry about that. It was totally delicious.


Maybe the ones we got for Rosh Hashanah had been in storage from the previous year... Now, I'm in the market to buy more pomegranates. I hope I find some worth buying.

*May it be Gd's will...

Nutritional value per 100 g (3.5 oz)
Energy346 kJ (83 kcal)
18.7 g
Sugars13.67 g
Dietary fiber4 g
1.17 g
1.67 g
Vitamins
Thiamine (B1)
(6%)
0.067 mg
Riboflavin (B2)
(4%)
0.053 mg
Niacin (B3)
(2%)
0.293 mg
Pantothenic acid (B5)
(8%)
0.377 mg
Vitamin B6
(6%)
0.075 mg
Folate (B9)
(10%)
38 μg
Choline
(2%)
7.6 mg
Vitamin C
(12%)
10.2 mg
Vitamin E
(4%)
0.6 mg
Vitamin K
(16%)
16.4 μg
Minerals
Calcium
(1%)
10 mg
Iron
(2%)
0.3 mg
Magnesium
(3%)
12 mg
Manganese
(6%)
0.119 mg
Phosphorus
(5%)
36 mg
Potassium
(5%)
236 mg
Sodium
(0%)
3 mg
Zinc
(4%)
0.35 mg

Percentages are roughly approximated using US recommendations for adults.
Source: USDA Nutrient Database

No comments: