Saturday, November 11, 2017

Surprisingly Easy Stuffed Peppers


Thursday my husband bought a lot of peppers in the shuq, more than we normally use in a week or even more. The price was good, as was the quality. And even better, it solved the problem of how I would cook the chopped meat I had thawed for Shabbat. That's right. I made Stuffed Peppers.

My version of Stuffed Peppers is very healthy, low carbohydrate and extremely easy to prepare. I start off by making my own tomato sauce. If that's a bit daunting for you, then use whatever ready-made tomato sauce you like. Just dilute it a bit, or things may burn.

Easy Tomato Sauce
  • package of chopped tomatoes 500gm
  • large cut onion
  • fresh garlic
  • peppercorns
  • oil for sauteing
  • a bit of water to swish in carton to get out all of the tomato 
First saute the onion and garlic in oil until it begins to get shiny. Then add the chopped tomatoes, water and peppercorns. Cover and cook on a low heat. While the sauce is cooking you start on the meat and pepper.

Stuffed Peppers
  • 600 gram chopped meat/poultry or combination
  • diced onion
  • a couple of eggs
  • optional any herbs you like, garlic etc
  • 4-6 peppers, depending on size

Cut off the tops of the peppers. You can use the edible parts of the top in the sauce. Just add the pieces. Clean out the seeds from the peppers. Mix the chopped meat with the onion, eggs and spices. 

Spoon the mixture into the peppers. Place them carefully into the pot. Bring to a boil and then simmer for about 40 minutes. Yes, it's that simple.

My recipe is different from most people's. I don't add rice to the meat, nor do I add breadcrumbs or matzah meal. You really don't need to, unless you want more carbohydrate and less protein. I don't add salt, either.

Give this recipe a try. I hope you like it. You can add more greens for flavor, such as parsley and celery. Let me know what you think in the comments.

No comments: